Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Word Wednesday

Word Wednesday

Creator God (part 2)
Evelyn Fordham Goodman
September 2, 2015
"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."
Genesis 1:2

Formless, void, and dark-
These adjectives describe Earth as a chaotic, uninhabitable dark abyss.
Yet, in spite of Earth's pre-creation condition, I find myself surprisingly drawn to it with hope and refreshing reassurance.

God can bring order, fruitfulness and beauty from apparently hopeless conditions.
He doesn't need a palette of perfection from which to paint, but is skilled in working in the most unseemly surroundings.

He is not afraid of disorder or darkness.
Actually, these are the scenes upon which we see His best work.

And the earth was without form-
How refreshing it would be
To just be
To not have to look the part,
Not have to perform,
but to show up unmade and undone

And void-
What burdens could be lifted if I stopped trying so hard to produce, but instead surrendered to the barrenness, admitting that in and of myself, I have nothing
I am nothing

And darkness was upon the face of the deep-
The darkness
Oh the darkness
You mean I could finally stop pretending, even if only for a moment?
I could stop covering and hiding?
I could let go of the mask and just be?
I could let Him see?

God doesn't need us to do; He needs us to be.

He does the work.
He exercises the power.
His Spirit hovers over us and He speaks in us.

And before we know it, we are transformed.
We are changed.

PRAYER:
Oh Lord,
Order, beauty, and purpose- this is what I desire.
Thank You for your willingness to take me as I am and create what can be.
For Your glory and honor,
Amen

© 2015 by Evelyn Goodman. All rights reserved.
www.evelyngoodman.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home