Word Wednesday
Word Wednesday
“The One (Part 2)”
Evelyn Fordham Goodman
September 30, 2015
“Are you the one who is to come, or shall we look for another?”
Matthew 11:3b (ESV)
Yes. I admit. I am one of those people.
I check my oven multiple times before leaving the kitchen just to make sure it's off.
I often double check the envelope just to make sure I didn't forget the stamp.
And yes, I check the door a few extra times before heading upstairs for bed at night just to make sure it's locked.
I realize this tendency is irrational and is listed in the checklist for OCD, but there's something in me that desires to double check- just to be sure. Perhaps there is an underlying fear that causes me to doubt what I know to be true.
John the Baptist seems to have had this struggle.
John knew Jesus was the promised One. He had experienced Jesus’ miraculous baptism where the heavens opened and poured out visible and audible confirmations. John had even proclaimed, "Behold, The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (John 1:29)." He knew this was the Messiah. Yet from his darkened prison cell he sends disciples out to double check.
What do we do when doubt darkens our perspective?
I love Jesus' response. He does not rebuke John for his flickering faith, but instead reassuringly points back to the scriptures reminding John of what he already knows to be true.
“The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. (Matthew 11:5).”
May the Word of God strengthen our faith today.
PRAYER:
Dear Lord,
You are the Messiah, the Savior of this world. We know that to be true, but at times we all struggle with the darkness of doubt. Please strengthen our faith by Your Word.
ADDITIONAL SCRIPTURE:
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.
Romans 10:17 (ESV)
© 2015 by Evelyn Goodman. All rights reserved.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home