Word Wednesday
Word Wednesday
"Gratitude for Grace"
Evelyn Fordham Goodman
December 1, 2015
So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 12:7- 9 (ESV)
Have you ever wondered what Paul's "thorn in the flesh" was? Was it a chronic illness or debilitating disease? Was it some embarrassing disfiguration or uncontrollable disorder?
The Bible doesn't say.
And you know what?
I'm glad.
If the Bible explained in detail, Paul's "thorn", perhaps I'd be tempted to see Christ's promise of grace as a personal assurance only for Paul. I would read this passage of scripture, shout hooray for the power of God on Paul's behalf and then go back to hopelessly living with the pricking of my own "thorn".
But without the "thorn" being defined, there's an open slate or fill in the blank where I can insert my own "thorn". I can write in my own area of weakness.
I can be assured that God's promise of grace is not just for Paul, but for all those who struggle with areas of weakness.
God sees and knows all about our thorns. He knows how embarrassing, distracting, and painful they are. He knows how much we've prayed for them to go away.
But He also knows that personal weakness sets the atmosphere for Divine strength. He knows that with His grace, we will not only make it, but we'll get the personal privilege of seeing His awesome power at work!
PRAYER:
Lord,
May I praise you even with a thorn awkwardly poking out of my flesh, knowing that You are at work!
Help me not to just tolerate this thorn, but celebrate what You are doing through it.
Amen
FURTHER READING:
Zechariah 4:6
Hebrew 4:16
© 2015 by Evelyn Goodman. All rights reserved.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home