Word Wednesday
Word Wednesday
"A Martha Moment"
Evelyn Fordham Goodman
January 13, 2016
But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”
Luke 10:41-42 (NLT)
A few years ago a dear friend came to visit from out of town. When she arrived, I invited her to pull up a chair in my kitchen, while I frantically worked to complete an extravagant meal in her honor. I was exhaustedly washing greens, peeling potatoes, and frying meatballs- all so she could enjoy a delightful dinner.
She seemed appreciative of the gesture, but uncomfortable with me slaving in the kitchen- all so she could have a good meal. She didn't come for an extravagant meal. She came to spend time with me.
She wanted to sit on the couch and talk, laugh, and share stories. But instead of spending quality time with her, I was preoccupied with the task of preparing for her.
I get the feeling, Martha, in Luke 10:38-42, had a similar desire. She was hosting Jesus and needed everything to be just right. No paper plates or store bought cake for her guest. She wanted an unforgettable meal for her Master and was laboring feverishly to get it all done.
But is this what Jesus really wanted? Was He looking for a four course meal on hand-crafted china?
Not at all...
Jesus wanted to spend time with Martha.
And He wants to spend time with us too.
May we remember that quality time with Jesus is always more important than preparation for Jesus.
PRAYER:
Lord,
I can identify with Martha- trying so hard to prepare that I lose sight of the whole purpose- time with you.
May being in Your presence be the priority of today and everyday!
Amen.
© 2016 by Evelyn Goodman. All rights reserved.
www.evelyngoodman.blogspot.com

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home