Sunday, January 02, 2005

Happy New Year

Happy New Year! To God be the glory for one more year. I'm thankful for life and health. I'm thankful for my family and friends. I have so many things for which to be thankful, but in all of my thanksgiving I still have a heavy heart. If I were living in Bible times right now, I'm sure I'd be wearing sackcloth and ashes. So many people are hurting in this world.

My heart goes out, as I'm sure yours does, to the families devastated by the Indian Ocean tsunamis. This tragedy happened far from us, yet it feels so close. We are all brothers and sisters in the Human family.

The stories are almost unbelievable. I spoke to my cousin earlier today who was reading about some of the tragedies. One story stood out to her perhaps because she's a mother with a small son. One lady and her son were walking hand in hand on the beach when a large wave overcame them from the back. Their hands were seperated by the wave. She later found her son dead under some sand.

Yesterday, not so far away, was another tragedy. A beautful person - wife, mother, friend, lost her battle to cancer. I heard that she was sick a few months ago. I prayed and prayed for her healing, as I'm sure many others did. My heart goes out to her young daughter and devoted husband.

It's funny how I remember my parents and grandparents talking about Jesus coming. I didn't say it out loud, but rarely shared their same sentiments. I didn't want Him to come until...I had my driver's license, got married, had children...

Time really brings about a change. I am daily reminded, and gratefully so, that this is not my home. I love to read the promises in Revelation 21 about there being a new heaven and a new earth. It says the old ones (heaven and earth) will pass away. Then it says that God will wipe every tear from our eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things will be passed away! Hallelujah! Now that will be a Happy New Year!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home