Kelly Pierce Golliday - My Friend

I'm not sure where to begin. But I feel the compelling need to start somewhere. Someone needs to; has to give voice to the cricket's sound. Someone has to tell the world why his tune seems a little flat tonight.
And someone must give voice to the moon. Someone must tell why it's light appears dimmer tonight.
Why does the air feel stale and the night so much darker tonight? - I imagine they are all feeling it too...
the loss; the emptiness; the sad reality of this life - death.
Kelly Pierce Golliday, my friend passed away today. And she WAS my friend.
The longer I live, the more selective I become with that word - "friend". It's just too precious. I need them just that much. So much so that I smile when I say the word and think of Kelly. That was what she was to me; a friend.
We met at a unique time in my life. I was a in my 20s with no children. I was teaching at the time and was now accompanying my husband to a new church; his first church as Senior Pastor. I was new. I was anxious. I was finding my way.
I wasn't sure if I was supposed to make "church" friends. And If I was, how? And with whom? (shhh...I'll tell you a little secret - It's common knowledge among many Pastor's Wives that making friends with church folk can be unwise, but you didn't hear that from me).
Well, with Kelly, you didn't really have a choice. She just jumped right into your life and started in like you were already friends. She was so real, so likeable that before you could decide not to be her friend, you already were :-). I used to tease her all the time about her gift of getting to know people. She just had a way of including people. She had a way of making anyone feel apart!
And that's what she did for me.
It wasn't until later that I realized that we both were sort of outsiders. We were both new to the church and ended up finding refuge in each other.
Well, shortly after I got to our new church, I decided to leave my job (that's another long story...we'll talk about that another time) without having another one. I remember telling Kelly about it and next thing I knew she was calling me with potential employment opportunities over the bridge. I got dressed, went to a job fair, followed Kelly's leads and was hired at Pyne Poynt Elementary School within a few days. Kelly was the Guidance Counselor, but wore many hats in that building.
You talk about a professional! She knew her job and was exceptional at it! I was so proud to be associated with her. She was very respected; very competent! And the girl was brilliant! That can sort of explain why she was often bored with meetings and other structured gatherings...she was just too smart to sit there. I would often tease her about her short attention span.
We worked together for several years and got to know each other quite well! We'd go over ministry ideas, discuss the Bible, pray together, practice songs, practice mimes, laugh, hug, discuss her precious girls, celebrate, cry, eat (especially during my pregnancy with Jabber), talk about what we were cooking for dinner, shop (she was my shopping coach at Casual Corner), and just enjoy each other. She was my friend.
And then there was Phoebe. I remember when she was thinking about starting a ministry at the church. She wasn't sure, but was convinced one night at at a revival at Ebenezer church (Eric Thomas was preaching). She knew that she had to use her gifts to help edify the Body of Christ. And she did. She started (under the guidance of the Holy Spirit and the encouragement of my husband) Phoebe - a ministry to help nurture and support the young women of the church.
It was a great success! And to this day, it's effects are seen and felt in the lives of numerous women!
Kelly was full of life - even in her sickness. You would really never hear her sound completely down. Tired? Sure, but defeated- NEVER.
Even in her sickness, we remained prayer partners. In fact I just looked at a recent text message that I received from Kelly. The message simple, but profound - "Gotcha, Be Encouraged". The last prayer we had together was a few Sabbath mornings ago when I was headed to church where I'd be giving the morning sermon. I needed prayer and Kelly was ready to give it!
No matter what the challenge. No matter what the test. She knew where her help came from. She knew the Lord! She loved the Lord. She sought the Lord with her whole heart! She was saved; saved by the precious blood of Jesus. She was covered by HIs blood.
Well, crickets - you can tune up. Moon, you can brighten your light.
We'll see her again. :-)
"Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen aleep in him. According to the Lord's own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have allen asleep. For the Lord hiself will come down from heaven with a loud command, wth the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words." (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, NIV)

5 Comments:
Sorry for your loss Evelyn. Kelly was in most of my classes throughout our four years in high school but I haven't seen her in over a decade.
Loss is such a humbling experience and I sincerely hope that once your mourning period is behind you - you take time to celebrate the friendship you had with Kelly and also take time to celebrate your precious existence on this planet.
Peace Kelly - I'll always remember how much you used to talk to me in high school about your crazy exploits - and I'll remember that great smile ... always made me smile.
Every soul has a worth and Kelly's was priceless. I did not know Kelly personally. Although, I met her on a few occasions thru Evy. I do know that she was loved and will be greatly missed by those who loved her and was touch by a priceless soul. Evy, I am sorry for the loss of your true friend Kelly and my prayers a with you and her family.
Thank you, thank you and again thank you. As Kelly's big sister it does my heart and soul good to hear, read and learn about the impact my youngest sister had on so many. I miss her and my heart aches for her voice, but I know she is with our Dad and Uncle Sam....justa' singing and celebrating her life's journey. I pray and ask for strength for her family and friends. And in the spirit of Kel....be encouraged.
Stacey
Thank you, thank you and again thank you. As Kelly's big sister it does my heart and soul good to hear, read and learn about the impact my youngest sister had on so many. I miss her and my heart aches for her voice, but I know she is with our Dad and Uncle Sam....justa' singing and celebrating her life's journey. I pray and ask for strength for her family and friends. And in the spirit of Kel....be encouraged.
Stacey
Thank you, thank you and again thank you. As Kelly's big sister it does my heart and soul good to hear, read and learn about the impact my youngest sister had on so many. I miss her and my heart aches for her voice, but I know she is with our Dad and Uncle Sam....justa' singing and celebrating her life's journey. I pray and ask for strength for her family and friends. And in the spirit of Kel....be encouraged.
Stacey
Post a Comment
<< Home