Living in the shelter to hide in the shadow...
Have you ever wanted to hide?...maybe under the pew during an embarrasing moment at church, or behind your big brother when you're in trouble.
Well, the other day, I woke up wanting to hide. I mean I just didn't want to be seen. I had too much to do; too much to acccomplish; too many people counting on me. I didn't want to face the day; too much stress, too many bills, too much bad news. I wanted to fade into the background, stay behind the scenes. I wanted to hide in the shadows.
Psalm 91:1 speaks of a hiding place; a place where I'd love to be... "under the shadow of the Almighty." Yeah, this is the place. I want to be covered with His feathers and hidden under His wings. This is a place a safety and security. This is where I want to hide.
And this hiding place is promised to us if we'll first "live in the shelter of the Most High" (Psalm 91:1-NRSV). Before we can benefit from being in God's shadow, we must decide to live in God's shelter.
What does it mean to live in God's shelter; under His roof; in His secret place, under His protective care?
Could it be similar to the child living at home under their parents' roof; in their secret place; a place of protection and care?
I just didn't know how good I had it... Living with my parents, I had full access to what they had. I could just walk up in the kitchen, open the fridge and make a sandwich. I had my own room; my own soft bed with cotton sheets and fluffy spread. I had access to their telephone, their TV, and anything else that was in the house. At home I was safe; protected by the outside elements. On wintery nights I was warm, safe, and secure.
When you're home (under your parents shelter), you can enjoy the privileges of home, but you must abide by the principles of their home. You may have to keep a curfew or do certain chores. When you decide to live under their shelter or protective care, you agree to submit to their ways of living. You decide to do things their way - after all, you're living in their house. You're expected to be respectful and appreciative of their provisions.
Times have changed a bit these days, but when I was growing up, you couldn't live up under your parents' roof and not speak in the morning. I mean you were expected to open up your mouth and say, "good morning". If it was dinner time, you couldn't decide to eat in your room while the family was at the dinner table or sit at the table with headphones. Living under the roof meant you were apart of the family and being apart of the family meant that you shared in the intimate moments of the family. You were in a relationship with those in the house. You shared a secret place, a shelter.
When we choose to live in the shelter of the Most High, we're choosing to submit to God's way of doing things. We're choosing to abide under His protective care. We're choosing to obey His rules. We're choosing to be in relationship.
Lord, today, help me to dwell in the secret place of the Most High. Help me to live in your shelter.
Only then, I can hide in your shadow.
Well, the other day, I woke up wanting to hide. I mean I just didn't want to be seen. I had too much to do; too much to acccomplish; too many people counting on me. I didn't want to face the day; too much stress, too many bills, too much bad news. I wanted to fade into the background, stay behind the scenes. I wanted to hide in the shadows.
Psalm 91:1 speaks of a hiding place; a place where I'd love to be... "under the shadow of the Almighty." Yeah, this is the place. I want to be covered with His feathers and hidden under His wings. This is a place a safety and security. This is where I want to hide.
And this hiding place is promised to us if we'll first "live in the shelter of the Most High" (Psalm 91:1-NRSV). Before we can benefit from being in God's shadow, we must decide to live in God's shelter.
What does it mean to live in God's shelter; under His roof; in His secret place, under His protective care?
Could it be similar to the child living at home under their parents' roof; in their secret place; a place of protection and care?
I just didn't know how good I had it... Living with my parents, I had full access to what they had. I could just walk up in the kitchen, open the fridge and make a sandwich. I had my own room; my own soft bed with cotton sheets and fluffy spread. I had access to their telephone, their TV, and anything else that was in the house. At home I was safe; protected by the outside elements. On wintery nights I was warm, safe, and secure.
When you're home (under your parents shelter), you can enjoy the privileges of home, but you must abide by the principles of their home. You may have to keep a curfew or do certain chores. When you decide to live under their shelter or protective care, you agree to submit to their ways of living. You decide to do things their way - after all, you're living in their house. You're expected to be respectful and appreciative of their provisions.
Times have changed a bit these days, but when I was growing up, you couldn't live up under your parents' roof and not speak in the morning. I mean you were expected to open up your mouth and say, "good morning". If it was dinner time, you couldn't decide to eat in your room while the family was at the dinner table or sit at the table with headphones. Living under the roof meant you were apart of the family and being apart of the family meant that you shared in the intimate moments of the family. You were in a relationship with those in the house. You shared a secret place, a shelter.
When we choose to live in the shelter of the Most High, we're choosing to submit to God's way of doing things. We're choosing to abide under His protective care. We're choosing to obey His rules. We're choosing to be in relationship.
Lord, today, help me to dwell in the secret place of the Most High. Help me to live in your shelter.
Only then, I can hide in your shadow.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home